Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Planning a TANGLED Birthday Party? How 'bout some PASCAL CAKE POPS!



I've never been big on celebrating my Birthday, but when it comes to my kids, I go all out! It's so fun to let them choose a theme and then let my creative brain run wild with it.  The last week of school, my daughter's teacher informed me that her class would be observing my daughter's later summer Birthday.  I asked my sweet girl what kind of treat she had in mind to pass out to her class and she replied, "Something with Pascal on it."  My expression immediately became alight.  A Tangled theme!  I could do that! 



After fervently searching the Internet for any kind of Pascal treat, I quickly realized that I'd need to make my own.  I sat down to watch American Idol with my brain-fuel of choice (an alcoholic beverage and a bag of Cheetos).  Half way through the show an idea popped into my head--Bakerella's Cake Pops! I'd never attempted cake pops, but if Santa could do it, then so could the Grinch.

So that's how it was settled.  I would make a cake pop that looked like Rapunzel's pet, Pascal!



The next week consisted of sketching out my design and gathering my ingredients.  When baking day finally came, I was eager to start my project.  I must admit that I choose a challenging character for my first cake pop attempt and like any of my baking creations, there was a black moment that left me pulling my hair out and rocking in a corner.  In the end, cuteness prevailed and Mr. Pascal was created (that or I've just made a very tasty green fish with feet?). 

Anywho, chameleon or fish,  I'm happy to report that even the boys in her class loved these! 



To make these cake pops, I followed Bakerella's basic cake pop recipe found in this cookbook.


You will need the following ingredients to decorate Pascal:

1. Green chocolate melt.
2. Green licorice pastels for legs.
3. Medium royal icing eyes from  Fancy Flours
3. Green jumbo diamond sprinkles for spike on his head.
4. A #65 decorating tip and pink butter cream icing for tongue.
5. A #13 decorating tip and green butter cream icing for comb on back.
6. Green edible luster dust for shimmer.
7. A black food coloring marker for the nose.



I made the tails by piping green royal icing in a swirl shape and letting them harden.




Shape Pascals body out of cake mixture. I tinted my yellow cake mix with green food coloring so Pascal would be green all the way through.  The oval shape was difficult to dip in the melted chocolate (hence my melt down) and next time I would make them round.


I used a plastic medicine cup to shape the mouth.


Dipped the lollipop stick in melted chocolate, then pressed it into the cake ball.  Next I dipped the cake ball into the melted chocolate and then before the chocolate hardened, I stuck in the licorice pastel legs, tail and jumbo diamond sprinkle for spike.

Chill in the refrigerate until chocolate hardens and then glue on eyes with frosting.



Chill the cake pop again and then add tongue, back comb and nose lines.







Dust body with luster dust.  Now you are ready to bag and tag these. The bags and twist ties were part of the lollipop kit. I found the tags on ebay. Just search, "Tangled favor tags."



He's almost too cute to eat. Almost...


Here they are, ready to make their trip to school.





My little guy cannot wait to pick his guy!



You can see the Tangled Birthday cake I made for the party in my September 22, 2011 blog post
Here's a sneak peek ;-)

Enjoy!

I'm planning a Tangled them for my daughters party later this summer.  Here are a few links for you to check out with ideas I've enjoyed.

A Tangled party with lots of fun ideas here
And one of the most amazing cakes I've ever seen here

I'd love to hear your ideas for a Tangled Birthday Party, so please leave them in the comments.

~The Lemonista

7 comments:

  1. I wish you were my mom:) So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too creative, Erin!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are absolutely amazing! You are so creative. I don't know how you do it! If you ever decide you want a side business, I would pay to have these at my daughter's next birthday party!

    It's fun to see your blog again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are sooooo cute! I can't believe those were your first attempt! Mine were a disaster! Chocolate wouldn't melt properly, so nothing I had planned worked! These are too cute for words! Hope you keep up with making cake pops!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mellie in Los AngelesMarch 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM

    Hi Lemonista!

    I'm going to attempt to do Pascal cake pops for my niece's birthday next weekend, but I've never used royal icing before. Do you think making the tail out of green candy melt would work? I'm a little leery of buying the supplies just for a tail. Any other suggestions?

    -Mellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mellie, You can buy royal icing powder at cake baking supply stores and all you have to do is add water. It's quick, cheap and super easy. Then all you need to do is pipe the royal icing into swirly tails and let it dry. Hope that helps.
    ~The Lemonista

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming! creative cakes oc

    ReplyDelete